Everton’s hopes of qualifying for Europe dangle by a thread after 17-year-old Daniel Jebbison sealed Sheffield United’s 1-0 win at Goodison Park along with his first Premier League purpose on his first top-flight begin.
The Canadian-born ahead grew to become the competitors’s youngest goalscorer on their full debut, and it’s uncertain whether or not he’ll discover the online with a neater likelihood in opposition to a static dwelling defence.
Earlier this season, Jebbison was on mortgage at Vanarama Nationwide League North facet Chorley and solely received his first style of first-team soccer with the Blades as a Sixty fifth-minute substitute final weekend.
However his purpose and an impressed efficiency from goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale had been sufficient to consign Carlo Ancelotti’s facet to a ninth dwelling defeat, equalling their worst report from 1950-51 and 1993-94, with one match nonetheless to return at Goodison in opposition to Wolves on Wednesday.
Defeat virtually definitely ended their probabilities of European soccer as they continue to be eighth, three factors behind Tottenham and West Ham with a vastly-inferior purpose distinction.
Everton: Pickford (6), Holgate (4), Keane (5), Godfrey (5), Coleman (6), Doucoure (6), Allan (6), James (6), Digne (6), Richarlison (6), Calvert-Lewin (5).
Subs: Sigurdsson (6), Bernard (5), Andre Gomes (5).
Sheffield United: Ramsdale (8), Baldock (7), Basham (7), Egan (8), Robinson (7), Stevens (7), Osborn (7), Norwood (7), Fleck (7), Jebbison (8), McGoldrick (7).
Man of the match: Aaron Ramsdale.
Blades deal main blow to Everton hopes
At 17 years and 309 days, Jebbison change into the youngest participant to make his first Premier League begin since Mason Greenwood in Might 2019.
It took the teen simply seven minutes to make an immediate impression as he ghosted in behind Ben Godfrey to show Jack Robinson’s cross into the unguarded Everton internet.
Sheffield United’s constructive begin and lead was almost erased inside 4 minutes when Allan curled a shot via our bodies in the direction of the far nook, however the unsighted Ramsdale produced a wonderful save to protect the Blades’ lead.
Everton might have been two down earlier than the half-hour mark when Mason Holgate’s defensive lapse gifted Jebbison a gilt-edged alternative to double his and Sheffield United’s tally, however Jordan Pickford stayed large and tall to thwart the teen’s tried lob.
- James Rodriguez changed Gylfi Sigurdsson in Everton’s solely change from the goalless draw at Aston Villa.
- Daniel Jebbison made his first Premier League begin and Jack Robinson and Ben Osborn returned as Sheffield United made three adjustments from the defeat to Crystal Palace.
Everton steadily elevated the strain on the guests’ purpose as half-time approached however discovered Ramsdale in impressed kind.
After Chris Basham had deflected a James Rodriguez effort over the bar, Ramsdale brilliantly saved out a Richarlison header earlier than stopping Dominic Calvert-Lewin from changing the rebound at point-blank vary with a shocking double save.
In between these two makes an attempt, Seamus Coleman felt he ought to have had a penalty when his tried flick hit Robinson’s hand.
Everton’s report the earlier 32 instances – courting again to 2015 – they had been dropping 1-0 at half-time has seen 25 defeats and no victories and even a change of personnel and formation, ahead Gylfi Sigurdsson changing Holgate, one of many three central defenders, made little distinction.
United’s David McGoldrick had the most effective likelihood of the half because the hosts continued to look devoid of concepts and drive.
Goodison hosts its ultimate match of the season in three days and, regardless of the lengthy wait to see stay soccer once more, on the proof of this efficiency it might be a clumsy night in entrance of the 6,500 supporters who gained tickets in a poll.
Pleasure for Jebbison – Match stats
- Sheffield United’s Daniel Jebbison (17y 309d) grew to become the youngest ever participant to attain on his first Premier League begin, overtaking Danny Cadamarteri’s report set for Everton in opposition to Barnsley in September 1997 (17y 343d), which was additionally scored at Goodison Park.
- Aged 17 years and 309 days, Sheffield United ahead Daniel Jebbison was the youngest participant to attain a match-winning purpose in a Premier League sport since Federico Macheda for Man Utd in opposition to Sunderland in April 2009 (17y 232d).
- Sheffield United picked up solely a second win from their final 24 away league outings (D3 L19), and ended a run of seven straight Premier League defeats on the highway since beating Manchester United 2-1 in January.
- Solely Fulham (4) have earned fewer dwelling factors within the Premier League in 2021 to this point than Everton’s tally of six (P11 W1 D3 L7), with the Toffees’ one win the joint-fewest on dwelling soil within the competitors this calendar 12 months (degree with Burnley and Fulham).
- Everton have misplaced 9 Premier League matches at Goodison Park this season; it is the joint-most they’ve ever misplaced at dwelling in a league marketing campaign, alongside 1912-13, 1947-48, 1950-51 and 1993-94.
- Sheffield United have gained extra Premier League away video games at Everton (three) than they’ve at another opponent within the competitors.
Man of the Match – Aaron Ramsdale
Aaron Ramsdale made six saves for Sheffield United, essentially the most he has ever made in a Premier League sport during which he didn’t concede a purpose, whereas six saves is essentially the most he has made in any league division whereas additionally retaining a clear sheet since March 2019 for AFC Wimbledon in opposition to Peterborough in League One (seven).
Everton host Wolves on Wednesday at 6pm – stay on Sky Sports activities Premier League – earlier than travelling to champions Manchester Metropolis on the ultimate day of the season.
Sheffield United journey to Newcastle on Wednesday at 6pm – stay on Sky Sports activities Area & Sky Sports activities Combine – earlier than internet hosting Burnley on the ultimate day of the season.